Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Rather: "Courage"

Since I had long sworn off the Rather-biased "CBS Evening News," I had not planned to watch his farewell tonight. However, when I arrived at my Bible Study this evening at 6:55 p.m., my hosts were tuned in, so I had no choice.

For a second there, as I was listening to his closing speech (for some reason I had a hard time looking at his face on the screen), I really thought he was headed in an . . . interesting, albeit honest, direction. When Rather said,"Not long after I first came to the anchor chair, I briefly signed off using the word 'courage.' I want to return to it now, in a different way, to a nation still nursing a broken heart for what happened here in ..." I really thought he was going to say something like "... what happened here in 2004 when we lost the election and put that privileged flyboy Bush back into the White House ..."? Was it just me, or did the same thing occur to you?

For those who missed it, what he actually said was "... what happened here in 2001, and especially to those who found themselves closest to the events of September 11th."

(The transcript of Rather's remarks come from the wonderful people at the Media Research Center.)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:42:00 PM, Anonymous Michael Hallisey said...

I was successful in avoiding the broadcast....until another show re-played the final few seconds! I was simply waiting for him to start crying-- and prehaps, confessing or something. "Yes, while I have hidden it all these years, I can now tell you my deepest, darkest secret...I am a liberal. I despise Bush and I might be wearing women's underwear...but I swear this has never skewed my judgment". Good night.

 
At Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Mickey McLean said...

David Limbaugh was able to avoid the broadcast, and when he later heard that Rather once again used "Courage" as a sign off, he at first thought it was a joke. As usual David sums it up well in his blog post about it the other day.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home