Monday, April 25, 2005

Very Tall Worshiper

As I was leaving church yesterday I noticed a very tall gentleman standing in the parking lot, and I mean TALL. It occurred to me that he looked like Sun Ming Ming, the 7-foot-8 3/4-inch basketball player from China who was profiled a couple of weeks ago in the Greensboro News & Record. This morning, I asked Todd Jones, one of our pastors and a huge basketball fan, and he . . . confirmed that it was indeed Sun, and that he has been attending the 11 o'clock service at Christ Community Church for several weeks (I regularly attend the 9:30 service).

Sun is in town to train with former University of Maryland and Greensboro City Gaters player Keith Gatlin for a shot at the NBA. He has been staying with some friends of Gatlin's, Rocky and Celeste Manning, who are members of Christ Community Church and live in Summerfield.

According to the News & Record article, language can sometimes be a barrier for Sun, but fortunately the language of our Lord knows no barriers. I hope I get a chance to meet him before he heads back to China next month.

2 Comments:

At Monday, April 25, 2005 1:56:00 PM, Anonymous Chip Atkinson said...

Todd Jones is not a real basketball fan! Wow. I've used Ming in fantasy leagues. Good news!

 
At Monday, April 25, 2005 1:58:00 PM, Anonymous Chip Atkinson said...

Lander needs a speaker for Page FCA tomorrow night. A small group...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home