Monday, May 23, 2005

Leaving the Left Behind

In a column in Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle, writer and lifelong liberal Keith Thompson announced he is "leaving the left." Thompson decided enough was enough when "the simpering voices of self-styled progressives" derided the January 30 elections in Iraq.

Thompson wrote: . . .

My estrangement hasn't happened overnight. Out of the corner of my eye I watched what was coming for more than three decades, yet refused to truly see. Now it's all too obvious. Leading voices in America's "peace" movement are actually cheering against self-determination for a long-suffering Third World country because they hate George W. Bush more than they love freedom.

I identify with Keith Thompson, and with former Democratic Sen. Zell Miller. My turning point came during the frenzied month following the 2000 election when I finally realized that I no longer had anything in common with the party of Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

Hat tip: Marvin Olasky at World Magazine blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home