Thursday, July 14, 2005

Greetings for Seventh Commandment Breakers

The Baltimore Sun featured an article last week on a new line of greeting cards designed to reach a perceived "untapped market": those who are committing adultery.

The Sun reported: . . .

[Cathy] Gallagher says her Secret Lover Collection of 24 cards is the first line exclusively for people having affairs, and she expects hot sales. She says half of married people have had affairs (though some studies show the figure to be far less - more like 15 percent of married women and 22 percent of married men, according to the University of Chicago). From former President Bill Clinton's relationship with "that woman" to shenanigans on TV shows like Desperate Housewives, affairs are out in the open.

"Look at the soap operas. It's all about forbidden love," Gallagher says in her Bethesda office, where the walls are painted red and pink. "Look at how many people on soap operas are having affairs. That's real. And I think that's why this is so scary - these cards are real, and for a lot of people it hits very close to home."

Here's a sampling of some of the verses found in the cards:
"All my life I have had this emptiness inside, like a part of me was missing and I was incomplete. . . ."

"And now I can't imagine my life without you . . . Even if I have to share you."

"Let's live our lives together and finally be one. I can't imagine not having you in my life. Let's start living our lives for 'us.'"

According to The Sun, Gallagher has worked 20 years in advertising and marketing, has two children, and never has cheated on her husband of 15 years.

"People make choices," she told The Sun. "I'm not making a choice for them. People make choices. And by the time they buy this greeting card, they're already involved deeply in the affair. . . . This is an entrepreneurial venture. And this is an untapped market. That's the bottom line."

I'm all for free enterprise and finding your niche in the marketplace, but I find this to be a sad way to make a buck.

Hat tip to Lynn Vincent at World Magazine Blog.

2 Comments:

At Friday, July 15, 2005 3:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is low. I suppose there will be a gay section in Hallmark next.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 4:52:00 PM, Anonymous Tim G said...

I think we get a glimpse into the mind of this pathetic entrepreneur when she asks us to "Look at how many people on soap operas are having affairs. That's real."

If the life depicted on daily soaps reflect the life of the average American, then I can't understand the ratings and shares these depraved sitdrams get. I mean, what could be more boring and uninteresting than watching your life on television!

Perhaps another tell of where Ms. Gallagher's psyche lies comes in the sweet sentiments found in her verses, "All my life I have had this emptiness inside, like a part of me was missing and I was incomplete..."

Perhaps her efforts would be better served in trying to find a more Devine fullness for that emptiness.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home