Saturday, July 09, 2005

Heaven on Earth?

By Alexander Samuels

I really hated doing book reports in school. I loved reading the books but I did not want to write about them. I always felt that in some way I just could not do justice to the book or the author in my report. I always felt that I was lacking some very important insight that I was sure the teacher was expecting to see in my work. I often feel that way today when I come across a book that really touches my soul, my emotions and my intellect. Such a book is . . . Searching for Heaven on Earth: How to Find What Really Matters in Life, by David Jeremiah (Integrity Publishers, 2004). I have read it twice now and will read it again in a few months.

Searching for Heaven on Earth is about, of all things, the book of Ecclesiastes. You remember that book, don't you? It is located between Proverbs and Song of Songs in my Bible. When was the last time you heard a sermon preached on Ecclesiastes? It was written thousands of years ago by King Solomon. Maybe you remember him? It was said that Solomon was the wisest man on earth. Although, as you read about the latter part of his life, you wonder at his admissions of failure.

I don't know whether to call this book a "commentary" or a "devotional." It has elements of both. Apparently the publisher didn't know exactly how to classify the book for bookstores, either. On the back cover it says, "Christian Living/Spiritual Growth/General."

In his preface to the book, Dr. Jeremiah says that you are likely to be startled by this book's modern insights into the human condition. I believe it. I was startled by what it told me about myself. There were times while reading the book that I could almost hear Solomon saying, "Got ya! You didn't know that I knew that about you, did you?"

Do you ever think that life is empty of hope? I think Solomon seriously considered this only to discover that he had been looking in all the wrong places. Searching for Heaven on Earth is another book on my "highly recommended" list. I suggest you order a copy now before you forget.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read this book and it is excellent. On the same subject, I would like to recommend THE PROBLEM OF LIFE WITH GOD by Tommy Nelson. This offers a similar view to ECCLESIASTES.

Sam Cain

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home