Wednesday, January 18, 2006

End of the Spear


Fifty years ago this month, five Christian missionaries were killed in Ecuador by members of the Waodani tribe. This weekend the movie End of the Spear, which tells the story of this massacre and the incredible reconciliation that followed, opens in theaters nationwide (locally at Brassfield Cinema 10, Carmike 18 and Grande 16; click here to find a theater near you).

In his column today, Cal Thomas writes: ...

"End of the Spear" is the latest in a steadily growing number of films that are taking on culture on its own turf. Instead of cursing darkness, more independent producers are beginning to make good movies (do not confuse "good" in content with bad in execution) containing positive messages.

Also be sure to check out Gene Edward Veith's review of the film in this weeks' WORLD Magazine.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Jerry Bledsoe said...

Mickey,

Thanks for alerting me to the movie. I was unaware of it.

I lived amongst this tribe myself for a short period in 1971. At that time, about half the tribe had come under the influence of Rachel Saint, the sister of one of the slain missionaries, who had learned the tribal language from a woman who had fled it in fear of her life. They resided in a tiny village alongside the upper waters of the Amazon

Oil had been discovered in Auca territory and the government was considering going in and blowing away the half of the tribe that was still wild. Outsiders did not survive long in their areas.

I was there for a couple of weeks and got to know some of the tribal members as well as Rachel Saint. I wrote a story about it for Esquire that appeared in July, 1972, the longest piece, I was told, that had appeared in Esquire to that date. I got a lot of calls about making a movie about it at the time but nothing came of it.

A few years ago, the New Yorker did a series of articles about the tribe and I was surprised to read about some of the tribal members I'd written about now driving around in SUVs, wearing fancy clothes and enjoying their oil riches. I suppose Rachel Saint is dead now. We had a correspondence for a while but it gradually slipped away. I still have some Auca spears of the type used to kill the five missionaries who first approached the tribe.

Jerry

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 3:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry,

I'm certain that now you will go and see the movie. I hope you will come back to this thread and tell us your thoughts on the film.

Michael Hallisey

 
At Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Diet Coke Mania said...

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the movie. There seems to be much controversy over it within the evangelical community.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home